What kind of visa is required to stay in Japan for job hunting after graduating from university?

International students who have graduated from universities, etc. can stay in Japan for job hunting after graduation!

In order to stay in Japan, you can change your visa to a visa for a specific activity.
The period of stay with this visa is 6 months, but it can be renewed only once, so you can stay in Japan for up to 1 year.

In addition, graduates who are looking for a job after this change has been approved and who have an additional six months (once You will be able to stay in Japan for a maximum of one year). In other words, you will be able to stay in Japan for up to 2 years for your job search.

In the second year after graduating from a university, etc., if a student wishes to participate in a job-hunting support program run by a local public organization and engage in job-hunting activities, including participation in an internship, he or she will be allowed to change his or her visa status to a visa for specified activities in order to engage in job-hunting activities while participating in the program.

*This employment support project is a project that conforms to the requirements set by the Immigration Bureau.

Also in the above cases, if you meet certain requirements and receive permission to engage in non-qualified activities, you can work up to 28 hours per week. You can also work part-time if you have one.
In addition, if the internship is part of your job search, you can work more than 28 hours per week in a non-qualified It is possible to receive a permit for the activity.

*Special activity visas for job hunting activities conducted through participation in the job hunting support programs conducted by the above local governments. If you are participating in an internship as part of this program, please contact You are not required to obtain a permit to engage in activities outside of the status.

*The following are certain requirements to be approved for disqualification

  1. Performing activities outside of the status will not interfere with the original visa.
  2. that this extra-curricular activity to be performed on a temporary basis is deemed appropriate.

Therefore, if you are engaged in simple labor or business related to the sex industry, you may not meet these conditions and may not be allowed to come to Japan.

The above is an explanation of the visas required to stay in Japan for job hunting after graduating from a university or other institution.